Thursday, March 8, 2007

March Break's Killing Me!

It's only Thursday and I'm toast! We've had outings almost everyday, trying to participate in as much as we can while there are extra helping hands around. GG's in town so we went in and picked her up on Tuesday so she could come to gymnastics and help me keep an eye on the kids (I have a kidnapping paranoia problem). After all the racing around to get them ready, go pick her up, unload the kids to go inside, we found out it was cancelled this week so the big kids can use the gym. My heart just sank as I read the notice posted on the wall! I was desperate enough to hope that I'd misunderstood and asked at the desk to make sure but it was exactly what it sounded like. We went to DQ for a treat instead and the kids had fun climbing around the booth instead.

Cousin C slept over last night and after the kids went to bed we played a video game and watched some tv. I was explaining how the girls were really excited about her coming to see them and she was surprised that they'd be that interested. I compared it to her looking forward to doing stuff with me like we used to pre-kids. Her eyes widened incredulously as she said "You mean, I'm like a KELLY to them????" How cute is that??? She loves me! She really loves me!!! (if you know C, you know she's not one to gush or give anything away and would never never come right out and say "I'm glad you're here" or anything like that! I dont' think she realized she was giving away her position with that statement but I'll never forget it.

Sweetie is C's biggest fan & C slept with her last night. C said that at one point Sweetie woke up calling for me but then just snuggled over and slept on C's back. She tried to sound annoyed but I think she felt very special to have comforted her little friend!

This morning the girls all played with Little People while I cleaned up the kitchen a bit and got our gear ready to go to the pool. I think the novelty of the girls had started to wear off for C because she wasn't really interested in playing with them in the water & wanted to go off on her own, which made it tricky for me! Luckily all 3 mostly just wanted to stand on the side & jump in so they weren't all over the place all the time. Lovey got really brave and would just leap in whenever she felt like it, whether I was ready & watching her or not. She got really good at bobbing back up and keeping the water out of her nose. C came over once & showed them her cannonball move and then they all wanted to make big splashes like her, of course! Honey was slightly more cautious than the other 2 and mostly just wanted to stay on the side so that helped alot as the other two were getting braver than they should have been! they'd let go of the side and float around on their backs and start to drift away from me & I kept having to grab a foot as it started to slide out of reach to keep them all handy. Those two could do with a little dose of fear I think! The worst part about the whole thing was that they kept wanting to switch from the main big pool to the small heated pool. Now going from cool to warm is easy & quite nice. The reverse... not so much.

The swim ended at 1:00 & my 3 still weren't ready to leave but I managed to convince them to get out. By that time C had dressed & decided to go wait out front while we got changed. This took quite awhile and they got cold and fussy and were also hungry since they hadn't eaten since 10am. 45 minutes later we were out of there so that's not too bad for washing everyone's hair, drying them off, blow drying their hair & getting us all dressed. Luckily we didn't have far to go to AC's where GG had made us a lunch. We ate as soon as we walked through the door.

All this "get in as many activities as possible" plan of mine has been very draining! I've got a cold and so do they so we're all a little run down. Tonight there's some bad coughing going on upstairs and now I'm thinking that taking them to a pool wasn't such a hot idea.... hopefully we can rest up & get a little better over the weekend!

No comments: