Thursday, May 24, 2012

Lovely Long Weekend!

We had a fabulous long weekend! Thank you Victoria!!! We bbq'd hamburgers on Friday night, yummm! and had the big adventure in the park. Then on Saturday there was more gorgeous weather so we took our bikes and went down to the trails and biked along the river, stopped along the way and practiced skipping rocks. The girls are fascinated and frustrated by this. Lovey was the first one to get a couple of skips and that just discouraged Honey immediately. She did keep trying though and eventually got a couple herself so hooray! Lovey managed to get 3 skips one time and was pretty excited about that!

Lovey was poking along, falling waaaaaaaaaaaay behind so I kept up with the speedy ones on my bike and Murray ran with her. When we stopped for a water break, they all wanted to know if we could get a popsicle when we got back to the start. Since it had taken so long, we said there wouldn't be time if it took as long to return as it did for the first half. Suddenly Lovey takes the lead and kicks butt all the way back to the van. Obviously "c'mon, let's go! wanna catch up? they're getting way ahead!!! hurry up!" mean nothing to her, but man oh man, dangle that popsicle/carrot and she's a rockstar biker!!!

Unfortunately the ice cream stand wasn't open for the season yet so all that effort didn't pan out in the end.  What a rip off! I compensated by telling them they could have a popsicle at home and a run through the sprinkler and saved the day though!

Saturday night was movie night and we watched Tin Tin but I missed the end. I'd offered to help out a family in our multiples club who had triplet boys recently. They also have a 7 yr old and an 18mth old and her husband had a fundraiser/relay race to attend in the  middle of the night & so she was going to try and do the night shift alone. What a time warp! I got there as they were finishing up the evening feed at nine. Her older son heard my car from  his room and ran out to his parents "hey mom! your friend who makes the cookies? I think she's here!!!!"  I'd gone for a visit earlier and brought some smartie cookies which apparently stood out in his memory! LOL

All the babies were down and we went to bed around 11. They were allllll back again at 12:45 but they were much better than I remember our babies being! I was back in bed myself from that feed at 2am. I don't remember ever being able to get all 3 up, changed, fed, burped & back asleep in an hour and 15 minutes! I think they were back up again a little after 4 and that one took a little longer. The mom went back to bed and I finished up with the last baby but he wasn't settling well so it was 6:30 or so before he was back in bed and I crawled into my sleeping bag. The older kids usually wake up around 7 but I didn't hear much for awhile. It sounded like her 18mth old was having a tantrum (and has been doing this for attention a lot lately, go figure!) so I sortof tuned that out until her son came and knocked on my door to say that his mom needed my help with the babies. I went up and it turns out that the screaming fit was not from the toddler but the infant! Ooops! neglecting my duties! I'd only been asleep for about an hour so I blame my foggy brain on that! We got them sorted out and had some breakfast & I showered and headed off for church. I was fairly tired the next day but one night wasn't too bad especially when I knew I'd be able to nap or go to bed early the next night. I remember when Aunt Cathy used to do this for us once a week. I don't know how she went in and worked a full day after that!! and she came back week after week!!! I did take it fairly easy Sunday afternoon and had a nap in the car on the way to M&D's for dinner. 

After supper we went for a walk down to the stream by their place and it was pretty strong from all the rain last week. The girls brought their rubber boots so their feet wouldn't get wet. It worked pretty well until they started swimming! We had to watch them pretty closely once they got too comfortable in the water. The current was moving along quickly and could pull them away if we didn't have a hold of their shirt. It's very shallow and most places they could stand up but there are so many rocks that they could knock themselves out. Once they were good and soaked we headed back up to the sunny field for them to dry off and run around. What a great evening and who doesn't love going for an impromptu swim in their clothes and boots in May??? I didn't have my camera but I wouldn't have had any free hands to shoot with anyway!

Monday was another great day so we took the canoe out and paddled to a beach where this time there was swimming on purpose! It was a bit chilly for me so I didn't go all the way in but everyone else was feeling adventurous. It was time to head home for supper but no one wanted to leave. Next time we'll have to pack a lunch! Anybody have a canoe and want to tag along???

It was a great weekend with lots of fun in the sun and family togetherness, life is good and we are sooooo blessed!!!


 








Yay for summery warm weather in May!

No comments: