Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Christmas Chaos

The kids woke up on their own this year! We'd told them they could get up at 7 and at 6:53, I heard a distinctively loud whisper of "only SEVEN more minutes guys!!!" We quickly came down to browse our stockings and then went back up for a quick bite of breakfast. They are really quite good about it. I'm not sure my mum had as easy a time getting Dale & I to eat on Christmas morning! (but other than that I was pretty much a perfect kid! and as the writer of the blog, what I say GOES!)

Present opening gets faster every year it seems and it was a full time job managing the garbage, making sure nothing important was going in the discard pile, ensure everyone was opening their own presents and that nothing was getting lost in the mayhem!

They were quite pleased with everything and like their father, used anything they could immediately! Lovey had her pearls on in no time and you can see Sweetie sporting her new earmuffs! Once they had made it through their piles, Murray and I could relax and open ours. As a kid, this must have been what Mum & Dad were doing but I thought they were opening presents the whole time I was and was always amazed that they STILL had MORE to open after Dale & I finished! I thought they were quite spoiled actually! LOL Ahhh hindsight, you sneaky devil!

With presents out of the way, it was time for the most decadent breakfast of the year! Homemade Belgian waffles topped with strawberries, chocolate sauce and whipped cream. We talk about this for weeks before it happens! I prep everything except the whip cream the night before. Murray whips that up as I cook the waffles. It is so incredibly delicious, it's a bit sad we have to wait a whole year to have it again! But it's soooo rich that once a year is about all a body could really bear! I love this tradition and that the girls already identify it as a Christmas highlight each year.




I hope your Christmas was as merry and bright as ours!

No comments: