Sunday, September 2, 2007

Murphy's First Grooming Appointment

I finally caved in & admitted defeat. I just can't seem to manage to keep that boy's nails trimmed. Before I got pregnant it was no problem. He sat in my lap & we kept those nails in good order. Then came the belly so the lap was a little inaccessible for awhile. I still had trouble reaching but still tried to get at them once in awhile. Then came the kids & I forgot the poor dog even had nails. Somehow the grooming has always been my job and any time Murray has tried it, Murphy wants nothing to do with that!

I decided to let the professionals handle it & made an appt at a nearby kennel. Murphy is extremely nervous when you start handling his paws & I wasn't sure he'd be any calmer at a new place. I mentioned to Murray that I can get his back paws so if we have to pay for a trim, let THEM work on the hard part first. I highly doubted they'd be able to get him to sit still long enough to do all 4 feet.

Of course, I was right. Unfortunately, Murray forgot to relay the instructions and they prefer to do the hind feet first anyway. Well crap. $10 wasted and the front nails untouched. They said they couldn't believe how strong he was & that if we wanted to bring him back in a couple weeks they might be able to get 3 people to hold him down while they worked on him. Even with 3 to hold him, he'd still be able to jerk & wiggle and it'd still cost me $10 for nothing so I'll have to just keep trying to work the quicks back myself. If you want a job done right....

No comments: