Thursday, October 4, 2007

First Trip to the Dentist


We decided it was time for the girls to have their first checkup. Most people start doing this at age 3 so we decided to try it. Apparently Murray & I were the only ones who thought it was a good idea. Leading up to the visit, I started prepping them. I'd mention that we were going to a dentist soon, that he'd look at their teeth, count them and that they'd probably get a new toothbrush. They weren't buying in to the hype. "I don't like him." "I don't want him to give me a toothbrush!" I kept at it but it didn't seem to help out any that day. Originally Murray & I were both supposed to have our checkups too. I thought they'd watch us, see the process and that it was no big deal when their turn came. Then Murray had a trip coming up and meetings etc so we had to cancel his appointment. Without him there, I didn't think they'd do too well on their own while I was getting my exam. So I cancelled our appointments & just took the girls myself.
They didn't change their stance one bit. We got into the office and they all huddled in the corner as Dr G talked to them. They didn't respond at all. He asked Honey to sit in the chair. She didn't budge. I tried to pick her up and bring her over to the chair and she scooted out off that vinyl in no time flat. I sat in the chair myself and put her in my lap. She sat there rigid, mouth clamped shut. I decided to move on & switched her out for Lovey. Same result. Now what?!?!?! Dr G then advises them that after they get their teeth checked, they get to pick something out of the "Prize Box" and has someone bring it over to show them. It's a treasure trove of plastic junk that any toddler would kill for! They are mightily tempted now! So we try again, nope. Lovey's still not ready to open her mouth BUT I notice Sweetie in the corner who is opening her mouth wide and doing everything he's telling Lovey to do. I get Bexie in the chair with me and she lets him count & check everything out while he tells her what great teeth she has etc. Then, with one down, things get a lot easier. No way is Sweetie getting a prize without them! Honey & Lovey comply but just barely. He can hardly get his gloved fingers in there and actually seeing the teeth is tricky! But all 3 have been 'examined' and we're set!




In the afternoon we went for another walk & visited the little girl down the road who's one day older than they are. We went in her house for awhile & they were fascinated with the different toys & she took them up to show them her room. I had a hard time prying them all out of there!











No comments: