Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Seeing GG!


My grandmother had an unexpected visit to the hospital yesterday! Apparently she'd found her heart medication was making her a bit lightheaded and this was slowing her down. With the great wisdom of 90 years, she decided she'd cut the dosage in half. This might not have been too bad but then one day she forgot to take it at all. Her heart took exception to this and her heart rate elevated and was a bit erratic. We're hoping that once they get her back on track with the meds that this will fix her right up.


I decided the girls & I would do a road trip today to go visit GG. The kids were quite excited about it. We packed little bags for them to take in the car with snacks, doodle books, a magnadoodle, some books to read, a toy and a bunch of movies. We were well equipped in the entertainment department.


We got to the hospital a little after 2pm and GG was glad to see us! Down in the gift shop, the girls had each picked out a helium balloon to give to her. She didn't have any other decor up there yet so it added a little colour for her. The girls showed her their babybooks that I've been making for them and they sang some songs for her, drew pictures for her and got her to read their stories to them (nothing like a captive audience!!). We were in that little hospital room for over 2 hrs and they were perfect the whole time. Towards the end, Sweetie asked a couple times if it was time to go but other than that they were content to visit with her and behaved so well I was amazed! I was afraid that after 1½ hours of driving, they'd only last 20 minutes but they far surpassed my expectations! Once again I am a VERY proud mumma! It was such a long day for them and hospitals aren't much fun for anyone so I couldn't believe what good girls they were. Even the drive home was good!


Before we left, Sweetie told GG to behave and to listen to the doctors and not to goof around her medicine!


It was a little weird to see Grammie parked in one spot for so long. I don't think I've ever seen her sit still for more than 10 minutes in my entire life. She's usually a bustling dynamo! Other than the strangeness of seeing her sitting still, she seemed to be doing pretty well. I almost had to physically restrain her when the lady in the next bed was getting dressed to go home. Grammie was throwing back her own covers to get up and give the woman a hand.
I'm glad we went down & I feel a bit better now that I've gotten to see her. Other than my kids, I think I have the best Grammie in the world & I'm not quite done with her yet!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thinking about "GG" - hoping she's doing well! What sweet girls you have. :)

Haven't commented on your last blogs but have read them... what cuties! :)

Take care<
Kara

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting pictures and keeping us informed. We are very glad that Grammie is doing well.

Shawn, Tanya, & Foster

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Tell AA we're thinking of her. What medical school did she go to?

Love,

Vaughn and Jane

Unknown said...

Thanks for the update - the pictures are quite reassuring!

Kate