Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The GRQ Gene

Apparently there is a trait that just runs in my family regarding money, specifically, the urge to get some in a hurry! When we were kids, if Dad ever dropped a coin we were allowed to keep it IF we could snatch it before he could. Occasionally we were close enough & fast enough and eventually we learned to do a dead drop at lightning speed which greatly increased our chances. To this day, the sound of a coin hitting the floor, pavement, sidewalk anywhere immediately makes my head whip around and my body ready to pounce. I've managed to curb it enough that I don't actually dive for the quarter but the temptation is always there. (and if I'm at M&D's I revert back to my natural instincts)
Recently the kids have learned that recyclable containers are worth money and that beer bottles are worth the most. Luckily we live in an area where people like to toss these things out the window as they drive. We found a few bottles on a walk one day and now it's a big thrill to figure out how much everything is worth, what their individual "earnings" are as we gather these things up. Not only are we teaching them financial skills but math as well. Bonus!


A couple of days ago I had plans to go out in the evening and knew I needed to get Murphy out for a walk in the day or he wouldn't get one at all as Murray had hockey after my meeting. I told the girls we needed to go out. No one was interested. I immediately put a different spin on it and called out "Who wants to go on a beer bottle hunt?????" Three little heads popped up, crayons & Barbies hit the floor and they whooped & hollered "MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" and got their shoes & sweaters on in record time.
The upside of having boozers in the neighbourhood is that there are daily drop offs for the kids to find. Lucky for us huh?
and that blogfans is the story of the Get Rich Quick Gene :))))


4 comments:

Dad said...

How do you remember this stuff?
I had forgotten that little game.
Do you remember the time that all of the change fell out of your Uncle Laurence's pockets? I was holding him upside down at the time. It was my way of raising money for your college fund. Perhaps not the best method, but it was 'quick'.

KelMur & Co. said...

well the game lasted all the way through university so it's not that distant Dad! :)

I was delighted with your fundraising techniques that night. The blockade you set up in front of the fridge to charge a toll for people wanting access to their drinks was also fairly profitable as I recall it!

Anonymous said...

Cute stories! Try collecting after recycling day; our guy tosses all our wine and beer bottles that we try to hide in with our recyclables on the lawn. We're lazy and sneaky, you could profit from us!
Teena

KelMur & Co. said...

I guess you don't have any GRQ genes in you! LOL