Friday, April 2, 2010

Bicycle Built for Two

Lovey & I took our new bike for a spin today. Initially she was terrified and just kept screaming and saying "oh Mummy, I'm so scared! let's go back! ohhhhhhhhhh! Nooooooooo!" Like any good mother, I know what's best so I kept on going :) She's always worried about anything that involves movement and I was hoping that if I just went slowly and kept the bike as steady as possible that she'd get used to it. Within a few minutes (just before we got to the end of our road) she was enjoying it and thought it was the best thing ever.

Once we got to the main road though she balked completely. As I stopped to wait for traffic she dismounted and said she wasn't coming! I managed to coax her into coming with me and we headed along sloooooooooooooooooowly. We weren't going to be on this part for long and the traffic was pretty light so I was able to point out that we were turning off soon and then she was ok. She didn't want me going too fast on hills but that was ok. She quickly relaxed and started checking out the nice houses (only a short distance but a world away from our neighbourhood LOL) and we talked about which ones we liked. Our favourite was the big red one of course! although she was really taken with a ranch style one that was much wider than ours and had a wrap around deck. The deck feature really impressed her!

We ran into some people that I knew and we chatted for awhile but Lovey was anxious to be on the go so we kept going. I let her pick where we went at each crossroad. She loved being in charge and was so keen that she had a hard time settling on one option. "turn right. no go straight. No, turn right, turn right, turnriiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!" all in the span of 5 seconds and couldn't figure out why I almost missed the turn!

She commented several times that she looooooooooooooved the bike ride and was not really keen when I said it was time to turn back. Hopefully we'll be doing lots more rides now that we have some decent weather.

Murray & the other girls had gone for a walk in the woods so I couldn't get a picture of us together on the bikes, hopefully next time. For now, here we are in our matching helmets. Actually, I couldn't find mine and had to wear Murray's duct-taped wonder. I'll be digging around a little harder for mine tomorrow!

(wow this was not this blown when I had it in PS.....)

No comments: