Monday, May 3, 2010

Bite Your Tongue!

On second thought, no! Please don't!!!


I got a call from Murray while I was at the gym this morning. Honey had a fall off the monkey bars today and cut her chin. Her teacher wasn't sure whether it needed stitches or not so asked me to come check it out. When I arrived Honey was calm and the bleeding had stopped and she felt fine. She had a bandaid on and everything seemed OK and the cut wasn't very deep or long. She was OK with staying at school so I made sure the cut was cleaned out and then I left to go get groceries.

When I got home there was another message from her teacher, wanting me to call back as she wanted to follow up on the incident from that morning. I phoned back right away but it was lunch time and no one answered in the office. I left a message & the teacher phoned me back a little later. It turns out that the cut on the chin was minor compared to what happened when her teeth chomped down on her tongue!
I put the freezer/fridge stuff away from the groceries & left the rest, loaded Murphy in and went back to the school. The teachers were amazed that Honey hadn't complained about her tongue until she was unable to eat her lunch because it hurt. Holy moly, not much wonder the girl couldn't handle a sandwich!!!!!!!!!!!! She didn't feel like staying at school anymore so I brought her home & stopped at Murray's office to see what he thought. From what I'd heard, stitches aren't done inside the mouth so I didn't know if there was any point in taking her to emerg. Murray thought it was worth checking into so I took Murphy home, finished putting away all the stuff he'd devour while left unattended and then we went to the hospital and Murray came home early to meet the other two off the bus.

We weren't there long before getting to see a nurse who told me that she'd had a patient once who had cut his tongue straight through from the tip towards the back and it was split into a fork and they wouldn't stitch him so she was sure they wouldn't for Honey either. I appreciated not having to sit there for 2 hours to find that out! We didn't bother waiting around and I took her to McD's for an ice cream as the nurse had "prescribed" cold foods for her. :) She's taking this quite seriously and had jello when she got home, a milkshake for supper and a Popsicle before bed. I convinced her to take some motrin (ie bribed her with that Popsicle!) so she seems comfortable so far. Hopefully it'll close up a bit overnight and make it easier to eat tomorrow. She was a trooper and never complained a bit about it. The teachers at school were pretty impressed that she didn't even cry about it. The pain from her chin probably distracted her and she couldn't see how bad the tongue was so she didn't know to freak out about it!

In other goings on, Sweetie built a fort today and was giving out tickets for viewings. I received an unlimited pass that enabled me to visit as often as I liked and for as long as I liked and I get to keep the ticket to use on other days too!!!

No comments: