Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Drama & Hysterics

(actual serving on a salad plate)
Oh THIS is the life! Wild children, revolts, drama, tears and then a little more drama to top it off. I made a casserole for supper last night, Santa Fe Chicken. It has rice, black beans, cream of chicken soup and some cilantro mixed together. Then you throw some chicken breasts on top, dab a bit of salsa on each piece of chicken and then sprinkle on some cheese. The craziest thing in there is the cilantro and really it's just glorified parsley!!!!!!!! I thought I had it made when I remembered this dish. They eat nachos all the time, take out the chips, insert rice, BINGO! You know what they say, if you want to make God laugh, tell Him you've got a plan. Well, I'm sure He got some entertainment last night.

I put the serving dish on the table. We've found that if they get to pick their own portions and serve themselves, things seem to run smoother. If they don't take anything, no dessert and that means more of everything for us! So, I put the casserole dish on the table. The cheese has melted nicely, it smells awesome and my mouth is watering!!! Sweetie & Honey looked at it and the sight was enough to move them to tears. and wailing and gnashing of teeth. Seriously, it was so awful that Murray & I couldn't help laughing. They could hardly sit up they were putting so much effort into the crying. Surprisingly, Lovey scooped up a big plate for herself and just ate and ate. Her only question was "how many beans do I have to eat?" and then went back to her meal. I tried pointing out to the resistance effort that EVEN Lovey liked it and she hates everything, so it must be alright!!!!!!! Nope, more hysterics. We gave up and moved on and let them have their pity party but it was hard to ignore, let me tell ya! Eventually Honey caved and had a bite. When she didn't immediately succumb to the hazardous materials we like to call supper around here, she realized it was fine and ate the rest without a fuss.

Sweetie however, had her heels dug in nice & firm. I told her she had to have one bite ( see picture with dessert fork, that's the unreasonable demand). Murray decided to go head to head with her and told her she'd sit in her chair until she ate the microscopic piece. Her sorrow was on a roll and unstoppable. She tried to leave and he made her come back and then she realized he meant it. She'd be sitting there til bedtime. Hmmmmm. Not so cool. She tried to talk her way out of it but I shut her down and refused to engage in any negotiations. I started cleaning up the kitchen, everyone was done, dessert was over and I wasn't waiting on her (I didn't actually have much hope that this manoeuvre would be succesful. After some Hollywood worthy grimacing, she managed to eat the whole morsel.

Score one for Daddy! but I'm sure she'll get her revenge!!!!!!!!!

No comments: