Sunday, November 21, 2010


Last night for family movie night we had several stops and starts as the tv screen gradually reduced it's viewing area. We turned the tv off & back on and usually that worked to bring the full picture back but it was getting quite annoying. Then a little over halfway through, there was no resuscitating it anymore. Our "reboot" method was having no effect, in fact, we couldn't even get our 1 inch horizontal viewing bar. I realized this when I asked Murray if was going to turn it back on and he said "it IS on!". We had to hook up his dilapidated laptop, (yes, everything we own is crap or broken) and watch the remainder of the movie that way.

This past week I'd been shopping around comparing tv's, LED vs LCD, the dimensions of our entertainment unit (we had to have something less than 36.5" wide), p's and Hertz and it took at least 3 visits to make sense of what was important, what we could live with and what we needed. So I finally narrowed it down to one and started pressing the guy on price. It was $799 on sale for $748 but I wasn't ready to pay the price on the sticker. I h
ad a feeling I could do better. The guy was anxious for me to take it home and resisted giving me info to take with me, preferring to close the deal. He offered to take it down to $728 but that didn't seem like a huge concession so I insisted he write down the models & prices of the two I was considering.

When I got home we scoured the online ads for stores in our area and found that Sears had the same model advertised at $679, ha! I phoned to check in store availability but they didn't have any. I figured the guy at the other store probably didn't know that & phoned him back. Murray was willing to go back in and pick it up but the store closed and the guy never returned our call. We dropped in today and showed them which model we were planning to buy and asked if they had any price match options and they did! Welcome to the world of widescreen baby!

For Rick: 37" 1080p 60Hz LED

No comments: