Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Family Movie Night--- CANCELLED!!!!


What a bunch! Saturday supper was wild. too wild. Even wilder than usual around here (and THAT'S saying something!!!). They weren't interested in what we were having, sautéed squid on a bed of liverwurst shavings with a side order of pickled cow's tongue. Ok, it wasn't nearly that bad but you'd have thought that's what they saw when I gave them their plate of oven roasted potato, Tbone steak and fresh steamed broccoli. Sweetie managed a bit of potato and some broccoli, Honey tried some of that as well. Lovey couldn't bear to touch any of it. The piece of meat I gave them fit on my baby fingernail!

Skipping Saturday night supper means you don't get dessert AND you don't get to pick a snack for the movie. Surely you could choke down a microbite of meat for that ???? Nope. and then they started falling out of their chairs, and hollering and dancing around and up and down, wandering around the kitchen etc. I asked them to sit down while we ate and suggested that they might not get movie night if they didn't settle down. Murray told them to sit down. They were disinclined to acquiesce to our requests. Murray was losing patience, they were getting louder, rowdier and frankly, quite annoying. Finally he yelled at them to sit properly. I'm pretty sure I'd have fingers leftover if I used them to count the number of times I've heard Murray yell (me? oh there aren't enough fingers and toes in the world to count my explosions!) at them. They were able to behave for about 10 seconds and then took the ridiculousness to even greater heights. Murray looked at them and told them movie night was cancelled. The wailing and caterwauling that ensued was an incredible display of waterworks. Disappointed doesn't even come close to describing it, devastated might be more appropriate (well as a description, not as a reaction). Murray felt soooooooooooo guilty but we thought it was best to stand our ground and stick with the decision, despite the fact that the movie had already been picked out, paid for & brought home. Lovey was the most upset since it was her week to pick and she would have to miss it.

The grief party lasted for awhile but I think we made our point. They realized they'd gone too far. Murray & I hated giving up movie night but throwing away that $2.99 (and it kills me to waste even THAT!) may have been a very good investment. Honey came out and apologized and Sweetie dressed up in a goofy outfit to try and make us laugh and lighten the mood. She knew they'd pushed it this time. She cracked me up but wouldn't let me get a picture so Lovey went back & put everything on the way she'd had it so I could show the blogfans.

The next day Sweetie was wiggly in her chair again, tipped it over and it made a cracking sound. Immediately I confiscated the chair & told her she'd have to stand at the table for the rest of the meal and all of Monday's. She wasn't very impressed and she didn't enjoy the stand up treatment yesterday but sat nicely at breakfast this morning!

No comments: