Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Trespasskating!

New pasttime for our house! Sneaking onto the neighbour's property to skate on their flooded lawn! I can't believe we haven't tried this before! Murray noticed on the way home that the ice was pretty smooth looking and with the cold weather lately, the thickness was perfect. He tested it out with his boots on and it seemed fine. I was worried about falling through until he reminded me that the worst case scenario was getting my feet wet in a puddle on the grass. He wasn't sure if we should attempt taking the kids out anywhere after supper. It's usually such a battle to talk them into doing anything. So what's the easiest way of getting a kid interested in something? Use your mummy trickery & give them the impression that they CAN'T do it. ;)

Me: hey! Girls!!!!!! Daddy's going skating on E&J's lawn!!!!!!!! Come see this!
3 Kids with their noses out of joint: Huh???????? HOW COME???? why is HE going??? Can I??????
Me: welllll, you probably can't get ready fast enough, he's going right now. (and Murray leaves)

Wham! they were in & out of the bathroom and snow pants on faster than Bunny can hug Baby Pinecone!

Just to ensure we didn't get in trouble, I phoned the neighbours before we headed over.

Me: Hi! We're going skating & wondered if you guys wanted to join us?
Melissa: oh! sounds fun! where are you going????
Me: your front yard!

They weren't long in joining us and the kids all had a great time. They were out there for an hour zipping around, falling over lots but getting right back up and chasing each other around. I wish we'd tried this earlier in the season! We could have had some great afternoons out there, a bonfire at night even! Although with our winter it was rather hit or miss and I don't remember the lawn being so nicely frozen & visible before. They say they've snowblown it off before but I didn't notice I guess.

Usually at this time of year, I'm hoping for warm weather to melt everything & get on with spring. Now suddenly, I'm checking the forecast hoping for a good freeze so we can get out skating more! Our time is running out!!!!

On the way home, I noticed this gorgeous sunset, what a perfect way to end the day!








No comments: