Monday, March 14, 2011

Two Timbits To Go Please!


Mean Mummy on the rampage today! Lovey's violin lesson has been changed to Mondays now and so I had to pick the girls up from school as it would be too late by the time they got home on the bus. However, dismissal time is too early to go to the lesson. I thought we'd have the unusual treat of getting a snack after school and went to Tim Hortons. We were just washing up when they started talking about doughnuts. Since we all know their supper habits are less than stellar, I told them they were only getting 2 Timbits each. Lovey & Honey were not impressed and immediately flipped into full whine ahead!

H: but I want a doughnut!!!!
L: why are we only getting Timbits???
H: I don't want Timbits!

and some other annoying, unappreciative comments like that accompanied by the whiny voices and I made a fast decision.

Me: well, that's fine. You don't have to have any. Whiners get nothing.

They quickly looked at each other and got quiet realllllllllllly fast. Sweetie came out of the stall to wash her hands and didn't say a word about wanting a doughnut. That girl catches on really quick!

We went to line up and I told Sweetie to go look at the Timbits and decided what she wanted. The other two followed her to make their selections, apparently unwilling to believe that I really wasn't going to get them anything. They came back to tell me what flavours they wanted and their mouths fell open when I reminded them that they weren't getting any Timbits.

We got to the counter and I'm sure the other customers were watching & waiting to see if I was really going to buy a treat for just ONE of them. You bet your sweet bippy! I requested two Timbits and the poor cashier didn't know what to do. The math didn't add up at all. You can't exactly split those things! She came back with the doughnuts in separate bags and looked apologetic. I told her we'd just be needing one bag and she took the empty one back and we left. Sweetie trotted along quite happily while Lovey & Honey followed. Once out the door, Honey worked up a good cry but Lovey didn't say a word. After a couple minutes of no progress, Honey turned off the tears and we got to the car and headed out.

It was a tough call. What's the big deal right? Two timbits, who cares? It wouldn't have killed me to buy 4 more! I felt awful only buying a treat for one of them, I was really tempted to change my mind and tell them "ok but NEXT time there won't be anything!". Then I remembered how much and how easily they launch into these annoying whiny voices when they don't get their own way. I thought they'd probably learn more from not getting those two little doughnut balls than they would by getting them with a vague threat about "next time!".

No comments: