Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Project Manager!


Murray's taken on a new role around here! "Project Manager" The girls each have to do a project on an animal they wanted to learn more about. Honey chose the snowy owl (in honour of Harry Potter books) , Lovey's working on panthers and Sweetie's into leopards.

I started working on it with them and ended up with 2 out of 3 in hysterics, screaming, crying, the whole 9 yards. Honey gets so frustrated when she doesn't think she can get her work done and freaks out. Lovey gets so frustrated when you don't understand the idea she has in her head but can't express. Sweetie sat down and drew her pictures and now has 5 pages of data and illustrations but thinks she can probably add a couple more before it's due on Friday.

Seeing the chaos around me, Murray has stepped up! We let Lovey work out her tears and finally she was able to explain herself. She got worked into a state because she was telling me she wanted lines like Sweetie had on her page. The only lines I'd added were to Honey's page to divide it into 4 sections so she could make notes on different things about the animals. I tried this on Lovey's page. NOPE! I asked her to show me what she meant but all I got were tears and screams. She just kept repeating that she wanted lines, and it was all very clear to her! Finally, she was able to explain that she wanted me to make the ruled looseleaf look like the double lined pages they use at school for printing. (which Sweetie did NOT have on her page at all!!!!!!!!!!!!) Once that was sorted out, I set her up with the iPad to read about her animal, explaining that she should just jot down a list of the facts she found and write the info on her project after. I went to get pictures of the other 2 working on their projects. Then it was getting late so we all went back upstairs for stories. Murray checks on Lovey and then looks at me and asks "You're justletting her copy from the website????" I thought I'd done pretty well not to throttle the kid in the midst of the wild tantrum!!!!

We put the projects away & got out Anne of Green Gables. They are LOVING this book! I wasn't sure if some of the words might be too complicated for them as the vocabulary is pretty advanced for us sometimes! This doesn't seem to deter them at all, they're eating it up! Murray reads while we work on our cuticles, moisturize and clean our nails. It's one of the rare times of day that everyone is sitting still! They're very intrigued by the whole Anne vs. Gilbert angle and anxious to see where that goes! They love her imagination and the predicaments she gets into! It's very entertaining to read it again & get their take on things!



Oh and guess who came down with an ear infection yesterday? this might explain a small portion of her behaviour but I can't honestly say it's out of the ordinary, even when she's well!

No comments: