Monday, July 4, 2011

Lovey signing the guestbook: I ate chips. Happy Canada Day.

my quilt!
Honey's evening beach wear, we should all look so elegant for a sunset stroll!!



Murray trying out his new kite!





Every year one of my aunts invites all 4 generations of my family to her & her husband's cottage for the long weekend. Most years we have too much other stuff going on to make it. This year we did it anyway. They had a pretty full house so we actually slept at Murray's parents' cottage since they're only 9 doors down (I think it's 9 but Rick will let me know for sure right?) It was a fun filled weekend as they always are at just about any cottage! We had Grammie/GG, Auntie Ruth, Uncle Howard, Matthew, Jessica & Madeline, David, Uncle Ralph, Aunt Caroline & Clara, Mum & Dad, Aunt Wendy, Aunt Cathy as well as myself, Murray, the three girls and then there were the dogs, Murphy, Pip, Tory, Jazz & Max.

GG has a pile of leftover flannelette pieces so at least half a dozen quilts, including one for my house, were assembled over the weekend. It's quite a process to pick coordinating colours and patterns of fabric to design a decent looking quilt. Luckily Aunt Caroline has an eye and a flair for this and all I had to do was follow her excellent advice! I make a great gopher :)))

We spent most of Saturday down on the beach and Murray, Sweetie & I all ended up with some sunburns to show for it. The girls were excited to see G again this summer. I saw her come down with her dad & sisters, to head out kayaking. I went over to where my girls were playing and asked if they had seen her yet. Honey popped right up and wanted to go say hi. They all made a beeline for her and the next thing I know, G has abandoned her kayaking to play in the clay with 3 little adoring fans.

At night we went to the other cottage & tucked the girls in and then I ran back for more fun and games. We played cards, Dutch Blitz and Quiddler. Hilarity ensued as various escapades unfolded. These things are never as funny when described later but suffice it to say that we had a lot of laughs!!! GG is such a character, very inventive and sharp for 92 going on 93!!! and whatever you do, keep her away from your chips!!! oh and she cheats but what can you do??? As kids we always played lots of board games, word games etc so it was fun to recapture a bit of my youth (not that I'm overly adultlike the rest of the time....)

The weekend ended with Lovey coming down with the flu so we cut things short and headed home early on Sunday. Honey seemed to come down with a touch of it on the car ride home but it never developed into much. Lovey was still sick this morning but was doing much better by midday!

No comments: