Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Buyer's Regret

Honey's class has a monkey theme this year. They can earn "monkey money" for doing good deeds etc in the classroom. Honey had over 100 monkey bucks saved up when her teacher "opened" the store the other day. She was so excited to tell me about her purchase when I picked them up on Monday. When she got in the car she finally had time to check out the puppy she had spent her money on. To her dismay, there wasn't really a puppy in there at all! The package said "pet in a bag" and sure enough you could see a mini canvas sack and sticking out of the sides were two furry ears and a tail coming out the back. If you squeeze the sack, you can hear a puppy barking. Honey tried and tried to open the bag but couldn't get it open and it didn't feel like a puppy in there at all! She handed it to me and I could tell right away it was one of those joke products and she wasn't ever getting a stuffed animal out of there!


She was so upset and the tears started right away. "but I saved and saved and spent almost all my money!!! 100 DOLLARS and it's not a REAL animal????? my teacher said there was a puppy in it!!!". Since it's an extra activity the teacher is doing, most likely out of her own pocket, I wasn't sure what to say to Honey. I didn't want her carrying on like that at school and there will be other "store" days for  her to get something else. In the end I told her she could talk to her teacher the next day and explain how she'd been mistaken when she picked it but she decided it would be too hard to keep from crying and she didn't know how to explain herself without getting upset. Instead she's using it as a backpack decoration and saving up more monkey bucks for next time. Lesson learned, make sure you know what you're buying BEFORE you hand over all your hard earned monkey bucks!

No comments: