Saturday, July 21, 2012

Practice Practice Practice!

I've been wanting to get the hang of a lighting technique that comes in handy whenever the sun is not aligning with my schedule! Photographing in full sun is nooooo good! But if you can put your subjects with their backs to the sun and use some extra lighting so their faces aren't in shadow, you're set for almost any time of day! Sounds great right? Yep, in theory!

When I went to Seattle a couple of years ago, my (then) new friend Missy gave me a quick demo that was so clear and made sense at the time. Set your camera for the lighting in your background, use your trigger to fire your flash in your foreground and voila you've got the best of both worlds and everything looks great. Well Missy's unfortunately much too far away to practice this with me! So I brought my stuff to the cottage and went out to play.  I got so many random results, realized my batteries were dying and got some fresh ones. I still wasn't getting consistent results but did eventually manage to get some blue skies and subjects that were visible! So here are my short term models who cooperated with posing for all of 2 minutes. Why would you need longer than that right??? Fortunately, Sarah the stuffed bunny was much more patient after these 2 ran off on me!




No comments: