Thursday, July 19, 2012

Roadside Assistance


Oops I did it again! We were on our way to swimming lessons this morning when a strange warning light that I've never seen came on. Not knowing what it was and considering it was only a yellow light and not having much spare time to get to the lesson, I figured I"d just look it up after I'd sent the girls off with their instructor. Then I thought better of it and pulled over, just in case. The road is so noisy right now, you can't hear anything so I was surprised to find a very very flat tire! and none too pleased I might add! I hadn't allowed for half an hour of wrestling in heels with a tire iron on a dusty road.

I have to say that of all the vehicles I've changed tires on, Pontiac, Ford, Subaru and now Honda, the Honda has the worst jack by far. Getting the vehicle up and down was incredibly awkward with the way they have the tire iron connecting to the jack and it fell apart at almost every turn. This did nothing to speed up the job at hand and we were 20 minutes late for the 45 minute lesson at the pool. The girls almost didn't want to go in as they didn't feel it was even worth getting wet for such a short time. Since I'd gone to the trouble and effort to get them there, I sent them in anyway!

I got my first flat tire in 1995 in Mum's car. I hated not knowing what to do about it. A friend's boyfriend was pretty handy with car stuff so I called him and he came right over and offered to change it for me. I declined and told him I wanted him to show ME how to do it so I'd never be stranded again. He looked at me strangely and said his girlfriend would never ask him that. LOL not the first or last time that I've been accused of not being like most girls! In the end he did teach me and every single time I mentally thank Troy for that lesson. It has come in handy more times than I ever imagined (unfortunately). When the girls learn to drive, this will be mandatory learning also. No helpless damsels in distress here if I have anything to say about it!

No comments: