Sunday, September 16, 2007

Nanny & Grampy are in the House!






a perfect combination, every princess should have cowboy boots to match her ballgown, don't you think?
hoping to get rid of ALOT of shoes at the sale!



Despite the girls' terrible colds, the weekend went very well. I swear, Lovey's cuteness factor goes way up when she's sick. She's not as whiny or fussy or instigative (is that a word??). Her hoarse little voice is adorable and she smiled & did the cutest things all weekend. Today she found Sweetie's penny on the floor of the car & I braced myself for a battle that would result in a piece of copper wire. I told Lovey that Sweetie had dropped her penny & she immediately tried to hand it over but Sweetie had already gone into hysterics anticipating that she was never going to get her life's savings back. Lovey had to chase after her saying "here! here! I have your penny for you!!!"

Since they were sick, we had to skip our swimming session & I was disappointed about that. Having a 3rd person in the pool with them makes our informal practicing so much easier & less stressful. Plus I hate for them to skip a week, I'm afraid they're going to forget what they've started to learn. With winter coming, I'm sure we'll have to miss more often now that snot season is upon us.

Since I couldn't go to the pool, I went to the mall & ran errands for the sale coming up next weekend. I'm starting to get excited but am still able to sleep at night... so far. I feel much more prepared this time. Usually I'm too busy & too nervous to think very far ahead or have much of a plan in place before arriving on set up night. This time I have a floorplan drawn up for how I want the room set up, where the different items are to go AND an itemized list of chores for people to get started on as soon as they arrive. The past 3 sales, I've spent a lot of time just trying to figure out what it is I want done & then trying to explain that to everyone. It's lonely at the top eh? : )) Since I look after almost all the organization, no one except me knows what's going on and everyone has to come to me to figure out what to do next. With my handy dandy charts, lists & diagrams, I'm hoping to eliminate that bottleneck of everything having to go through me first. Check in, check the list & get to work. I haven't been able to do much actual work in the past as I'm always running from one spot to the next. We'll see if it I'm more effective this time or not. This leadership thing is awkward and I'm still learning how to wield my powers!!! I'm still looking over my shoulder, waiting for the 'real' president to show up an kick me to the curb... or maybe that's just wishful thinking?

Saturday night Rick & Nancy treated us to Swiss Chalet but it wasn't much of a treat for Rick! What poor service! First, we had to phone Ontario to order your food, they said pick up in 15 minutes. It was closer to 20 when we got there. Rick didn't come back out with our dinner for over half an hour. He stood there lined up at the take out pickup forever while the cashier/waitress person bopped around the restaurant ignoring him, the guy in front of him & half a dozen other people waiting behind him. Eventually he flagged her down and asked if there was anyone working the take out section. Anyway, it took almost an hour from the time our food was ordered and when we got it home there was stuff missing from the order. Not too impressive but still nice for me to have a night off from cooking.

Nanny baked cookies with the girls & they were good helpers! We have a nice pile of sugar cookies now, thanks to their efforts. I noticed a big difference in the visit this time. It used to be so hectic & stressful with the girls being so demanding. There was no time to actually relax and visit, it was all about fending off the next crisis or dealing with the current one at the time. This weekend Nancy was able to put in several hours of work in the evenings after the kids were in bed & I was getting my sale stuff organized. Rick had a leisurely afternoon, browsing trucks and exploring other car dealerships.

No comments: