Sunday, January 13, 2008

Walkabout




I scored a sleep in yesterday! Murray took pity on me staying up so late Friday night & I snoozed to my heart's content. That took care of most of the morning and after lunch we put a great deal of effort into getting the kids dressed & ready to go out for a walk in the woods. It was quite a battle but in the end we won & we all got outside. Once out there, everything was fine, you'd never know it hadn't been their idea all along.



The snow is sortof in between stages right now, starting to freeze up but still soft underneath. This becomes a problem when you try to walk on it. Every step I took, it held for a second & then I'd crash down through to the bottom. Very annoying and a lot more work than I care to do on a leisurely family stroll! We didn't end up going very far as the kids were having trouble as they tripped over the uneven path in the snow. We got as far as "the mountain" (or "large rock" to most of you) and they happily climbed around on that for quite awhile.


In the meantime, I amused myself by trying to get some cool nature shots of interesting stuff. I see all these breathtaking close ups of flowers & raindrops etc and my SIL takes such awesome shots of scenery etc. This should be easy right? Nobody to chase, just stand there and you can even take your time adjusting your settings. While you fiddle, your subject never takes off, sticks out their tongue or anything. Here are my nature scenes from yesterday.




The first one I call " a clump of crap on a rock"... I got looking at them at home & said "Hey Murray! does this look interesting to you at all?" Murray: uhhhhhhhh, not realllllllllly. So it's not just me. I'm a people person I guess.


and this, well, at best it could be titled "waste of time" : ))) although I got some really good bokeh as the blurred background effect is called, the less detail, the better the effect. Looks cooler on pictures of little kids, in my opinion!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It doesn't look like crap on a rock. you should have gotten closer or flipped your lens. You should see my portrates ;)

xoxo M

lesly said...

Hi!
Just wanted to let you know that I always read your blog - I love hearing about the girls! And you take awesome pics! I like the crap on a rock picture - would like to see it with a bit less forground or turned on it's side like mandy says just to see how it looks. Keep up the good work!

Lesley

lesly said...

can't get on to facebook : ( I can read your message but can't respond. You guessed right - sorry - didn't mean to scare you into thinking you had a stalker! I didn't want to leave my last name : )