Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Doozy of a Week!

Well! the flu has had its wicked way with some of us here. Sweetie went down last Monday night & was up hourly. She missed school the next day and although she doesn't like to be sick, she sure does like to be home with Mummy all by herself. The whole way there she kept making sure she was NOT staying and was going to be coming home with me after we dropped her sisters off. and then there was that sneaky little grin that gave it away too ;) By the weekend I thought we'd dodged a bullet and she was going to be the only one. Not so lucky. Saturday night, Honey was hit but did all her porcelain time before bed & was able to sleep comfortably all night, as were we. So that's probably enough for one week isn't it?????? No, unfortunately not. Sunday night/wee hours of Monday morning I realize I'm the next victim. Blech!

Being sick is terrible! I missed my mummy! When I was at home, even when I was a teenager, she always got up with me, rubbed my back and put a cool cloth on my forehead. There's not much you can do for a sick kid but I always remember that that always comforted me and made me feel a bit better. Murray always gets up to check on me & offers to help but well, I'm not 4, 10 or 16 anymore and having your husband witness this awful situation just isn't cool.

Mind you, he was a superstar the next morning! I was sooooooooo impressed! He got them all up & fed, dressed, teeth brushed and out the door, on a Monday morning when the routine is always a bit rough from the weekend and had them at school EARLY. EARLIER than ANYONE else that day. I've been doing this school run since September and frankly, I think I've managed that once. I got up to see if the kitchen was a disaster at least but it was pretty tidy. How rude. I let him take over for one day & he has to go and show me up. ;) I took full advantage of the quiet and dropped back into bed. He picked them up, was home by noon, got lunch for them & himself and settled them downstairs with the tv and was back at work around 1pm. Before leaving he warned them severely to let me rest unless it was really important and not to fight or anything.

Those kids let me sleep until after 3:30pm. I figured I had an hour tops after he left. I was in and out of it most of the day but stayed in bed the whole time, even when I wasn't asleep, I just laid there, conserving energy. Sweetie started checking on me and tiptoed in the first time to whisper "Mummy I hope you get better soon" and then started taking care of me a bit before 4pm when she brought me some "fresh" water. (hopefully from the tap & not other low lying water sources she can reach). A few minutes later she brought me a picture that she & her sisters had made to make me feel better. Then I dozed off again, only to wake up to the rattle and clunking of something in a plastic box. I initially thought the little sneak was making a break for the Polly Puke-It stash under my bed but then I felt a stethoscope on my chest. She was giving me a check up! Everything was satisfactory so she packed up her kit & took it back downstairs. She brings me an extra blanket and holds it in front of the fan for a few minutes so it won't make me too hot. Then she changes my water, from the Dora sports water bottle to a little cup with a straw because she thought that would be easier for me to drink. Next, it's snack time & in she comes with a little metal cookie sheet with All Bran Bites on it. She tells me that she's taking care of me and anything I need, just let her know and she'll get it for me! Except, if I want food, it has to be something that's already made and that she can reach because she can't cook so it has to be something in a package she can open. She mentions several times that she loves taking care of me and wants to know if we can play a game. I'm enjoying the attention but not too sure about this and wonder "game???? oh dear heaven, I haven't got the energy or attention span for a game...." But I say yes, what do you want to play? She wants to play "I be the mummy & you be the little girl" Whew! I can do that for sure! I even chew down a couple crackers since she's gone to the effor to get them ready for me. Off she trots again, returning this time with a bag of baby carrots. "Do you want some veggies Sweetie? They're good for you & will help you get better!" oh help me. not cold slimy carrots.... I manage to beg off those without offending and ask for a cuddle instead. As we lay there, I tell her what a thoughtful "mummy" she is. "I AM????????" she says, as a pleased smile spreads over her face. I mention all the helpful things she's done and how nice it is to be looked after so well and I could just tell she was over the moon at this praise. Over and over she kept telling me how much she liked taking care of me and was just so incredibly sweet & cute.



Honey & Lovey were good as gold and never even raised their voices once. There is almost always some sort of squabble over something in the run of an afternoon! I couldn't get over how good they were, how great Murray was at handling everything & what troopers they all were while I was having a sick day. Three cheers for my crew!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: