Thursday, August 27, 2009

Vacation Replay!

More beach pictures! We had such a great vacation at the cottage and we couldn't have picked a better time to be there. It was disgustingly hot at home almost the entire time we were gone. The weather there was also very hot almost every day but being able to jump in the ocean at a moment's notice makes it easier to handle!

The kids had so much fun on the beach, even more so than last year. We went down almost every day after lunch and stayed there til supper. They had a good 2-3 hours each time and we had to drag them back up to eat most days. They'd have stayed down there forever. Strangely enough, we had to put quite a bit of effort into reminding them of this when it came time to get them ready to go back down the next day!

The preparation was almost ridiculous. Scratch that. It IS ridiculous. Asking them to put their bathing suits on was a task they'd spend an hour on and still be half dressed when we went to check. Unless I was standing over them with the whip, they'd dilly dally the whole day away. It was getting pretty frustrating! Once they finally deigned to put their suits on, we could start the sunscreen process. Then they'd pick out what toys they wanted to bring, then a bathroom trip, get our stuff and go. Hopefully 6 year olds will have a little more focus!

It was quite a treat for Murray and I because we got assigned the downstairs bedroom while the kids' room is next to Nanny & Grampy's. We had uninterrupted sleep EVERY night! Try as we might, we just couldn't hear a darn thing up there! Not the talking in the sleep, the falling out of bed and not even the nasal, whiny "can somebody take me to the bathroom please????"

Not only did we have awesome weather and sleep well, we ate like champs too! Even though I wasn't hitting the gym or doing much in the way of cardio, I threw caution to the winds and ate like it was going out of style. Nothing within reach was safe, chips, popcorn, candy, dessert, pop.... I was powerless to resist it all. On our last day I made fruit pizza first thing in the morning so that I'd be able to eat it TWICE before I left. Nothing like some well planned gluttony! Apparently I'm none the worse for wear though. One of the instructors at the gym has been away all summer & I saw her today and she said I've lost weight. My jaw dropped in shock because I was pretty sure this couldn't possibly be happening! So diet and exercise are a thing of the past! I'm on a new "eat my way to a size 10!" plan!!!

We also got a nice restaurant meal at the traditional spot with the family. Rick & Nancy have been going to this same place every year for ages so it's a big deal when we get to go and we hate to miss it. The girls were well behaved and we enjoyed the outing immensely!

That day on the beach, Sweetie found a clam shell that had a round little hole in it and she insisted on getting some string and making a necklace out of it for me. Since we were going out to dinner, she allowed me to wear it. Then the girls discussed other suitable occasions that would call for some fine jewelry and I'm now allowed to wear my clam shell on a string for Mother's Day, my birthday, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and to any parties I may be invited to. It's the all occasion accessory! We should set up shop on Ebay as I'll be setting a trend here in no time :)








We also celebrated our 11th wedding anniversary so the girls decorated a cake for us with all their favourite colours. There was also a blueberry pie which was great for me because it slowed down the cake consumption as I plowed through steadily and the others were distracted by the blue gooey pastry number :P


No comments: