Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Little Visitors :)))

I was chatting with a coworker of Murray's the night before last. I'd noticed it was his birthday and Murray was hoping the guy would be at work so that the boss would get cake. So I wished the guy a happy birthday & told him how much Murray wanted to see him on his birthday :))

He mentioned that he didn't know if he'd be there all day as there was a babysitter snafu. I told him his daughter could come here for a few hours if he needed someone. His wife's a nurse and is on night shift & needed some sleep. So, little Calle came for a visit yesterday!

She got here before the girls got home and was a little hesitant about her dad leaving but I used my mommy magic and said 3 little words to put her at ease. "we have BARBIES!" We waved goodbye and were off! I was trying to remember how crazy the girls were at 3 yrs old, could I let her play with Barbies? they have small shoes and brushes and all that.... when does that stuff stop being a choking hazard???? I was pretty sure most things are marked age 3 and up so I decided it was ok. She was fine and played very nicely as I finished baking some cookies.

The girls were very confused as they got off the bus & saw me holding another little girl! LOL They just stood on the steps, staring at us. Once they knew who she was everything was fine. We came in and got rid of their school stuff and went out to the backyard for a strawberry snack. They showed Calle the playhouse and ate in there.

I was checking out our shambles of a strawberry garden and found the cutest little frog! They all came rushing over to see and took turns holding it.

I thought I'd try to get a couple cute snaps for the dad since it was his birthday and all!

I put the one below on facebook and tagged him with a "happy birthday" message. He said he was IMPRESSED and loved the picture. Then he emailed me to ask how much to BUY it!!!!
I told him it was a freebie for his birthday and to enjoy it. Well! I got another message back that floored me (English isn't his first language so don't mind the spelling):

i don't like freebie toward artists. I follow that strickly. Because artists put a lot of time and own money in their passion. A lot people assume it is just a second to make a picture. In reality it is long learning process what needs to be rewarded and respekted. What is your normal rate for this?

I thanked him and told him very few people understood how much is involved and what goes into making images and thanked him for the offer but that I couldn't charge him for this especially since it was unplanned, unrequested and not even a perfect image.

That didn't fly with him:

at a certain point in my life was tired of doing all kinds of work stuff for free. A lot people assume because i like it, i do it for free and somehow me bills get paid by God. Okay, i don't have the big budget. Is xyz$ okay?
You need to create a pricing set up for all. Some people will turn away but you will be surprise that more people will respekt your work more. People don't seem to respekt free work.
It is not because you take 1 picture or a full day. It is knowledge and experience you have build up to create that quality. Never sell your work, you sell yourself. People don't by art, they by work from an artist.

How flattering and cool is that???? Ya'll can now say you knew me when! I shared his comments with the folks on my photographers forum and everyone's impressed with him and are jealous! I feel guilty accepting money for this but who am I to argue with a rich professional????

No comments: