Saturday, June 18, 2011

Let the Parties Begin!!!

We had a birthday dinner with some of family for the girls to celebrate turning 7! Lots of hype & excitement leading up to this event :))) I'm not sure how many hours were involved in this year's cake, probably better if I don't add them all up, but 4-5 on assembly alone! I had pre-made all the little wrapped candies, gumdrops & lollipops on top. All that remained on the day of the party was to put the fondant on the cakes and make the twisty candy cane ropes and then stick on all the bits.

It didn't leave much time to clean the house, do a grocery run and shower & change in time for dinner! I made it though, but just barely!

The girls were very excited to get off the bus & see the cake! They had already seen the parts I had made before. I was talking to Honey about them one night.

Me: I wish my lollipops had turned out better.
Honey: I think they're awesome Mum!
Me: but the picture looks so much better....
Honey: that's ok, nothing hardly ever looks like the picture anyways.

Ain't that the truth???? Words of wisdom from my brand new 7 yr old :)))

They were thrilled with the finished product and didn't see any of the flaws but I hid the picture just in case :)
Lots of family were able to join us for dinner and we had a feast of chicken & noodles. Even Lovey ate her fill. I'd been planning a bbq and then Honey suggested this meal instead because she knew Lovey could eat it and everyone would be able to enjoy supper. Lovey enjoyed it SO much that she came in to eat again when Uncle Dale got here after he got off work! Sweetie had 4-5 plates herself. This is one of the few meals that they ask for seconds of.


After we cleaned up, (thanks Mumma!) it was time to go down and start opening presents in the nice cool basement. They did pretty well and even remembered to read most of their cards.


We love having our grandparents visit for special events and were delighted that Shirley was able to come to the party too! Honey phoned her up to invite her and suggest that she stay afterwards for the bonfire because it was going to be "a blast!!!" So she did!
During the "blast" of a bonfire, the girls had some sparklers and Honey touched the hot end after it went out and got a little burn on her finger. Can't have a festive event without some tears and drama. After convincing her that staying inside for the rest of her life really wouldn't be much fun, she came back to the bonfire.



After bedtime, Sweetie saw me in the hallway & waved me in to talk. I went in to see what she wanted and she leaned in and whispered:

Sweetie: Mum, I don't mean to be mean.... buuut you said if I be'd good, I could have the Tangled Barbie for my birthday! well, I didn't get it!!! So I be'd good for NOTHING!!!!

Me: but your birthday isn't actually til tomorrow so just wait and see!!

No comments: