Monday, December 30, 2013

On the road again- Christmas III

Whoever said "Christmas comes but once a year" obviously never had any family out of town! Christmas is a series of events for us so we get to keep celebrating over and over and enjoy each portion without it being overwhelming on any one day. It's a pretty sweet deal! On Boxing Day we loaded up the van, lost the cat, found the cat, forgot the casserole for supper, went back for the casserole and finally hit the highway to go see Murray's family.

More family time, more gift opening, more playing, more laughing! Good times and guess what we had to eat that night? Oh YEAH! TURKEY DINNER!!!!!!!!!! Have I mentioned how much I love mashed potatoes lately? Alright, moving on then!

The girls were all excited to see Bo and they ran all over the house playing with him and making a racket. We enjoyed the visit and one evening the 6 adult children all went out to a comedy club as our gift to each other. I didn't think the acts were as good as the ones we saw the previous year but an outing with free babysitting and the company of other adults is always enjoyable!

While we were in town I got in a visit with a couple of my bank friends, Alisa & Maryann and we got all caught up on life events and Maryann updated my purse inventory once I told her the old ones were starting to fall apart. Good thing I have her to look after me, or I'd be running around with shedding bags til who knows when! haha!

On the drive down the check engine light came on in the van again which was frustrating since we just had all that work done. I wasn't sure if we should be driving it, if we should get it checked out before heading back or if it should wait until we got home and take it back to the place that had done all the engine work in case it was related like last time. I phoned them and they were fairly non committal, "it should be ok but I really can't say" "it might not be related". Finally I pinned her down with "Ok, well, if you were me, and you were traveling in winter with 3 little kids, a cat and a dog in a vehicle that had recently left you stranded on the side of the highway, would you get it checked out before attempting a 4 hour drive home?" She decided that in that case maybe it wouldn't be wise to leave it til we got home. So we were able to get a local Honda place to check the code for us. Of course it was something unrelated and not serious so we threw another $86 into the Honda fund! We also made it home without incident so I guess it wasn't a total waste.




No comments: