Monday, April 2, 2007

How to be a good neighbour...CRAP! RETREAT!!!

Our neighbour of almost 6 months recently disappeared. Well, he just suddenly didn't seem to be around anymore, the house was always vacant, no lights on, for sale sign went up & then it was sold. Still no sign of the previous inhabitant. When he first moved in I thought I'd try and be neighbourly & went over to introduce myself and brought a plate of cookies & fudge. (this is what they did in the olden days didn't they???)

On Saturday we saw a whole bunch of cars & a moving van and were excited to find out who our new neighbours were going to be. Maybe some new friends for the girls or us? Murray wouldn't let me get out the binoculars so we couldn't tell. There was more activity on Sunday so I decided to bake more cookies & then we all walked over & up the very long driveway. As we're getting close to the house, a thought suddenly struck me. What if it's not the NEW people moving IN, but the other guy moving OUT????? Then we rounded the corner and saw HIS car!!!! ABORT! ABORT! ABORT! Reeeeeeeeeetreat! Murray & I whip around and are ready to hightail it out of there. Honey won't budge. C'mon! Let's GO before they see us! Nope. She was told she was going to visit someone and she's not changing her plans. Crap. Keep moving, she'll follow! Nope. She starts screaming, the other 2 decide they're getting ripped off and join in the fray. We hold our ground and eventually they start making their way down towards us. I'm not sure which would have been worse, to knock on the door with a "welcome to the neighbourhood" plate of goodies for someone who's leaving or to have been witnessed making this spectacle! My fondest wish is that they were busy cleaning or painting or something in a room that didn't face the driveway and never noticed a thing. I should just get a Tshirt "Hi, I'm a DORK!" Sometimes this 'nice' business just doesn't pay! It seemed like a good idea in my head though.


So we raced home & ate the cookies ourselves. Not a bad deal in the end!

No comments: