Friday, July 27, 2007

Cheesy Picnic!

Just hangin' out in the backyard. Love those ringlets!
So many hot days last week! On Thursday we were outside for 3 hours! I waited until afternoon to go though & did a lot of indoor stuff first. They played hide n seek, had many many conversations with their animals, dolls & other toys, played with playdough and fingerpaints.

We headed for the backyard a little before 2:30 and stayed out there til Murray got home from work. They got lots of use out of their pool and I was even in there to try and cool off too! It helped quite a bit & I was able to get right down with them and work on their floating techniques.

The day before, I was sitting in a lawnchair beside the pool & thinking "wow! this is it! I've made it! Finally, they can play & I can lounge alongside & enjoy a book, they don't need me! ..... oh wait a minute! they don't need me? Isn't that the first step to that stage where they don't even want you around anymore????" I quickly dropped my book & jumped into that pool to play and splash & enjoy. I remember often daydreaming when they were tiny little demanding babies that some day they wouldn't need my constant attention & interaction so it was tempting to stay with the book but I realize I can read anytime but they're only this little once!

She's not giving me a kiss, she's actually trying to steal my cheesie!



I'm also starting to wonder what they're going to remember of this age. At what point are they going to be able to look back & have memories of anything they did, or that we did with them? I realize they'll have no concept of why Mummy was cranky or frustrated, but I really hope that's not their FIRST memory! I can remember things about our apartment in Toronto when I was little (YES I CAN MUM!!!) and I think we only lived there til I was 3 ish (Dale was born when I was 4 & we were back here by then). Will they remember that we had picnics in the backyard? that I used to play in their pool? push them forever on the swings? I hope some of the fun stuff sticks out in their minds but you just never know with kids!

Anyway, that day we played outside for hours, had a picnic of cheesies on the blanket and had a great afternoon outdoors!

No comments: