Sunday, May 10, 2009

Friends Forever


My longest standing friend (most know to get out before it's too late ;), was in town this week and came to spend a night at my house Friday night. Stacey & I met in Mrs. Perry's class in Grade 2 so this means we have been friends since I was 6 going on 7. Over 30 years ago. Wow. She has witnessed more blunders, fashion faux pas and every awkward phase I ever had and never bailed.

There is a comfort in a friendship like that. If they made it through all that stuff, how can you ever go wrong? They already know the worst, the best and all the in between and have influenced it or been party to it. You don't have to worry about impressing them (although I did clean like a fiend Friday afternoon but that was more of a health concern than showing off), or entertaining them. You are just you, the you that you've always been, the you they expect, know and love.

Stacey was worried about crashing at our place, that it might disrupt our schedule too much. Luckily, we are totally the drop in-able type of household. She (and anyone else!) could have called 5 minutes from the highway exit and I'd still have insisted she come and stay with us. No reservations required for friends and family.

There aren't many people that I'm still in touch with from high school, never mind Grade 2 so I'm always pleased to hear from her and get together whenever I'm up her way or she's down here. She's coming through again this summer with her boyfriend, his 2 teenage sons, her own son, and her Labrador puppy and I can honestly say that I really really hope they'll come and stay a day (or more!) with us on their way. If she can give more than 5 minutes notice, that'd be great though :)

No comments: