Friday, January 29, 2010

Dressed Up For Dinner

The girls often like to put on nice dresses and look their best when we're having company for dinner. The other day we had some neighbours over for supper and just before they were supposed to arrive, Sweetie came running in the kitchen asking me to do her buttons. I wasn't actually sure I could or that the buttons would even reach anymore but we managed to get hers, Lovey's and Honey's all done up and they were looking good for the guests! (Honey had already changed out of hers by the time I got the camera out)

It boggles my mind that they can even get these dresses on anymore. They got them in July 2006, when they were 2 years old! The fact that they can still squeeze into them 3 1/2 yrs later is pretty amazing. This has to be their all time favourite outfit by far. They were lovingly handmade by Princess Pamela. She has a great talent for smocking and creates an individual design for each girl on every dress she's ever made for them. Every outfit she's made has been beautiful but there's something about these ones that make the girls feel a little more fancy, a little more "princessy" and so they still make regular appearances while the others have been packed away just in case there's a grandprincess in the future.

When we first got them, I was in awe of the beautiful work, the gorgeous material but before I could ooh and ahhhh for too long, there were strict instructions given. "DON'T save them just for good. Make sure they get worn!" Well Princess Pamela, I heeded your words and these dresses have definitely gotten a lot of mileage. I'm glad I did. Nothing gives them greater pleasure than prancing around in their regal finery, spinning and twirling to their heart's desire. There wouldn't be nearly as many smiles if they were reserved just for good. Thank you for that wonderful advice. They only grow up once & I'd hate to have missed out on all the fun I've seen them have in these! Surprisingly, they've held up incredibly well to the artwork, the tumbles, the rescues, the races and hide n go seek and who knows what all else!

Here are Lovey & Honey with Murray when they first got the dresses for their 2nd birthday!

No comments: