Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Snow Day

Remember the excitement of waking up on a school day and tuning in hopefully to the radio on a messy weather day, hoping against hope that school would be cancelled and you could just roll over and go back to bed? 

Well that would have been a good idea this week! If only I'd known we were expecting a storm. Except we weren't! They were calling for some possible snow later in the day, maybe some rain. With already snow packed roads, a nice coating of rain can turn the bus route into a skating rink. I wouldn't recommend driving 70+ kids in those conditions!

Not knowing the forecast was calling for anything, I got everybody up, started breakfast and we were half an hour away from going out to the bus stop when I happened to see a Facebook post mentioning an extra day off. Wondering what holiday they had planned, I read further and found out school was cancelled IN CASE the weather turned later in the day and made the roads messy.

The kids thought they'd go back to bed but they never fell asleep, they were too busy on their iPods to shut their eyes! After a few hours of that (and some Rainbow looming), I told them Checkers needed a walk. He actually is fine for exercise but telling them I just want to go for a walk or telling them they should get outside to play is an undertaking I didn't want to fight out. When it's for the dog, they're much more willing. I go with whatever works!

We spent an hour following the paths to find the beaver pond and dam and home again. We used to go for walks in the woods all the time and they talked about things they remembered from when they were "little". It was cute to hear them recall details and stories. They kept asking for pictures which made me sorry I hadn't brought my real camera! If I'd known they'd be willing to work the photo ops for me.... Oh well! The best camera is the one you have with you!



Underneath that snow is a huge rock. It seemed much bigger to them when they were 2 & 3 and needed a boost to get up on it. They call it "Rocky Mountain" because it was sooooooooo large and hard to climb back then!
Voila le beaver dam!
and what's an event without a selfie?!?!? I love the rosy cheeks and big smiles :)))
 
When we got home, everyone was tired and hungry so Honey got to work and whipped up grilled cheese sandwiches for her sisters and herself.
In the celebratory spirit of the snow day, we ate lunch in front of the TV and I introduced them to some of my old faves, Bewitched and Diff'rent Strokes. Honey wasn't impressed that Bewitched was in black and white and complained until I changed shows. We all howled at the antics of Willis and Arnold and watched as many shows as we could before Teena & Boo came to visit. I have them hooked now and we'll be watching lots of episodes! We're loving our Apple TV!!!

No comments: