Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Fundraising!

Our church is very old and has gorgeous stonework on the exterior. Unfortunately, it's so old that some of the masonry needs redone, roofing repaired, stained glass fixed etc. As you can imagine, it's all very expensive. To help with this, a fundraising dinner was held. The committee thought it would be nice for the Sunday School kids to make thank you cards for the donors for preserving the church for the kids' future.

I somehow got on this committee (how do these things happen??? LOL) and worked with the kids on the cards. As I introduced the project, I explained that their church needed a lot of work and with out the repairs, it could eventually all fall apart and that in order for the church to be there when they grew up, we needed a lot of money to pay for the work. I then asked them if they could pay for it. Lots of little blank, apprehensive faces stared back at me. I explained that the grown ups were trying to take care of the problems and that people were buying tickets for the dinner and that money would help pay for the repairs. Next I told them they could help by making nice thank yous for those who were coming to the dinner. It was a rough 20 minutes, circling their knee high little table, ensuring they cranked out those cards (over 130 between 9 kids and did I mention the 20 minute thing???) There wasn't a moment to spare!!! but they got it done and had time for a cookie at the end.

As I gathered up the cards, I came across this one made by Lovey. Can't say it any better than that can you?


No comments: