Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Fence Hoppin'

Yep, our snow really is that high. Our fence is now a $4000 useless lawn ornament (assuming there's still a lawn under there that is). Murphy can hop in and out easily as can the neighbour's dogs if they so desire. I'm a little concerned (because if I didn't have something completely random & unlikely to worry about, I just wouldn't be me) that one of the coyotes is going to come after Murphy some night & we'll have a bad scene in the yard.... and what if it got in the HOUSE? How would I get it out? Could I get all the kids & lock ourselves into a room before it started tearing us to shreds? What if there were a PACK of coyotes in the house? How long would it take 911 to get help out to us? Does 911 handle wildlife emergencies????? Just a few minor issues I struggle with at these peak snowfall times! I think they have medication for my condition, I just haven't looked into it.

We did a lot of prep for playgroup tomorrow, big Easter party! So the girls helped me bake cupcakes and stuff some plaster Easter eggs with candy for the hunt in the sanctuary. They love it when I have jobs for them to "help" me with. Nothing gets their attention like a "who wants to help me with..." I know I should enjoy this while it lasts, it probably peters out soon huh? They wanted to make my bed again today and still seemed to think this was a blast. Who am I to rain on their parade. Let them have their fun I say!


Eventually, I managed to get them outside. Sweetie had many issues with many pairs of socks but after her sisters went outside without her & I kept leaving her at the top of the stairs to deal with her trauma while I went outside to keep an eye on the other two, she eventually pulled it together & got her gear on & joined us outside. As soon as she's ready & out the door, she's generally happy as a clam, always leaving me wondering (while banging my head against a wall somewhere) WHY we have to have a knock down battle about getting ready to go out in the first place when she obviously LOVES to play out there!




The girls think it's hilarious to climb back & forth over the fence rail! Today they were doing 'tricks' and wanted me to take a picture. I told them I couldn't because I'd left the camera inside. They snorted in derision and said "no you didn't! we know it's under your coat Mumma!" I unzipped & showed them that although seemingly unbelievable, I was in fact, sans camera. They quickly set me straight & promptly sent me in to fetch it. They obviously feel that all events big & small are worth preserving forever.


Before we got outside, Honey decided she should take a turn on the other side of the lens & get some shots of her own. I'm so used to handling & holding the camera that it's like wearing my glasses. Always there & easy to handle. Not so when you're 3½! In her tiny hands, it looked huge, heavy & awkward. She had a hard time holding it up to her eye & then found it tricky to look through the viewfinder & keeping it steady at the same time. Then throw in working the shutter and we'd just about lost her. She did manage a couple of shots though & I was impressed, especially since she was struggling to hang on to it (I had the neck strap on her just in case!). I don't imagine framing the composition was an easy task! She took her first one, then looked at the LCD and said "oh. I missed Sweetie a little bit..." then asked to do it again & another and another until finally I had to cut her off. I'm the photographer around here! If I have to let all 3 of them have equal turns with my camera..... well the mere thought of that left me a little shaky!





No comments: