Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Wednesday, Great Day!


Wednesdays really are just about the best (not counting Grammieday of course!). We had a great time at playgroup and the girls really seemed to play with the other kids today. Most weeks they kind of do their own thing, sometimes the 3 of them together or just on their own.




I was chatting with Nicolle when her daughter P came to ask me to play leapfrog. Although she wasn't actually saying leapfrog, so it took a minute to figure it out. Once I realized what she wanted, we were set but Nicolle was looking at me incredulously. The fact that P knew anythign about the game at all was news to her! LOL P & I had played several weeks ago & it had never come up since. I'm not sure what made her think of it today but off we went to gather more froggers. First of all, 3-4 year olds are terrible leapfroggers. They can't crouch down into the proper form, forget trying to get them to make a decent line, they have a hard time staying down to wait for their turn and none of them can safely hop over the others. It was tricky but they had fun and no one got hurt. After a few minutes of that, I got them switched over to Ring Around the Rosie which went much better.



Later, I spotted Sweetie, having an apple picnic in a little hideout with a bunch of other girls, none of which were her sisters. The poor apple was totally maimed by the end & left a horrible mess but they seemed to think it went well. : )
Then I saw Lovey playing football/hockey with one of Yvonne's twins. also saw Honey be a superstar sharer! I was sooooooooooo proud & impressed. She was playing with a little toy & another girl came and snatched it out of her hands. Honey of course got upset and so the other mom & I got the girl to give it back to her. We told her that she could have it in a few minutes when Honey was done her turn. This was very upsetting to the empty handed girl and she started to cry. Honey didn't like seeing her upset and told her she was done her turn & gave it back to her. Awwwwwww!!!

We had a late lunch & then after an hour of chasing, cajoling and finally laying down the law, we went outside to play. The weather has been great the last couple of days & after that freezing cold spell, I want to take advantage while we can! They worked on their honey garden, pretended to be baby bunnies, got lost in the "forest" (aka the space around the 2 trees on our front lawn), planted carrots, potatoes, lettuce and some beans (in case the honey doesn't come up in the spring I guess) and played without complaints for an hour and a half while I worked on the garage. Finally I had to drag them back in so I could make supper. I was really pushing it, it was 4:36 before I started to take them in and they weren't real keen on the idea.
I managed to get supper ready in a hurry but dessert still was only just coming out of the oven when he got home. Our unfinished entryway has one redeeming feature. Perfect spot for cooling that is inaccessible to wildlife but still cold enough to take the heat out of a pan of squres in a hurry!
AND, (not sure I should be saying this out loud or even putting it in print!) they were completely tolerable at supper. They gave a rousing rendition of Johny Appleseed before starting & maintained good humour the whole meal AND they ate some food INCLUDING vegetables.
So a great day all round, happy kids, happy mumma and I get my 2 points for making it through the day without caving in & parking them in front of the tv!! Obviously tomorrow will be completely hellish right????

No comments: